github twitter linkedin rss
Grails 1.3.7, Maven, Tomcat and Conflicting SLF4J Binaries
Oct 11, 2011
One minute read

Today, I ran into an interesting issue while attempting to test a Maven-ized Grails project (1.3.7) in Tomcat 6, and thought I’d document it here. The application was consistently failing to deploy to Tomcat and logging the following error in catalina.out.

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalAccessError: tried to access field
	org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder.SINGLETON from class org.slf4j.LoggerFactory
	at org.slf4j.LoggerFactory.<clinit>(LoggerFactory.java:60)

The slf4j FAQ indicated that this error is a result of an old slf4j-api version being used with a new version of a sl4fj binding. Sure enough, after inspecting the unpacked war file, I found that slf4j-api-1.5.2 had been included while the rest of the rest of the slf4j libraries were version 1.5.8. Running “mvn dependency:tree” shed no light on the issue as all sl4fj dependencies listed were version 1.5.8. Eliminating all other possibilities, I have to conclude that once of the grails plugins associated with the project (possibly hibernate) is the source of this jar. I was able to eventually resolve the problem by explicitly excluding slf4j-api-1.5.2 via the following snippet added to BuildConfig.groovy.

grails.war.resources = { stagingDir ->
	delete(file:"${stagingDir}/WEB-INF/lib/slf4j-api-1.5.2.jar")
}

Hope this saves someone else a bit of time.


Back to posts


comments powered by Disqus